The World's Mightiest Mortal
Whiz Comics #2 (1940)
Bill Parker and C.C. Beck
Billy Batson, a teenaged radio broadcaster and orphan, was brought by a magic train to an underground lair where he met the wizard Shazam. The wizard gives him superpowers to combat the forces of evil. All Billy had to do to use these powers was to say the wizard's name "Shazam!"
Captain Marvel's nemesis was Dr. Sivana, a mad scientist bent on world domination, who called Marvel the "Big Red Cheese". Marvel also fought Captain Nazi, Ibac, and the nefarious Mister Mind and his Monster Society of Evil. The Society ranks included Marvel's greatest foes and new ones such as Herkimer and even the axis leaders Adolf Hitler, Mussolini and Tojo.
Captain Marvel was assisted in his fight against crime and evil by the Marvel Family and teamed up with the other Fawcett superheroes such as Ibis the Invincible, Bulletman and Bulletgirl, Spy Smasher, Minute-Man, and Mr. Scarlet & Pinky.
Powers and Abilities
Public Domain Appearances
- All Hero Comics #1 (cover only)
- America's Greatest Comics #1-8
- Captain Marvel Adventures #1-2, 4, 7-41
- Captain Marvel Thrill Book
- Captain Midnight #1 (cover only)
- Flash/Thrill Comics #1 (Ash-can)
- Master Comics #21, 50
- Special Edition Comics
- Whiz Comics #2, 7-60
- Wow Comics #9
- The Adventures of Captain Marvel (1941 - 12 episodes)
- Marvel Comics owns the trademark for the name Captain Marvel. DC Comics owns trademarks for the names Shazam and Billy Batson. In order to use the Captain Marvel name, it can only appear in the interior of the story.
- Captain Marvel had a funny animal spin-off called Hoppy The Marvel Bunny.
- Captain Thunder was the planned original name for the character but, since Fiction House already had a Captain Thunder, the name was changed.
- Captain Thunder (as "William Fawcett") has appeared in DC Comics.